a lot of money, not much money, a lot of books, not many books
much는 much + 불가산 명사(uncountable noun) 형태로 사용한다. We use much + uncountable noun (much food / much money, etc.).
- Did you buy much food?
- We don’t have much luggage.
- How much money do you want?
- A: Have you got any money?
B: I’ve got some but not much.
many는 many + 복수형(plural) noun 형태로 사용한다. We use many + plural noun (many books / many people, etc.)
- Did you buy many books?
- We don’t know many people.
- How many pictures did you take?
- A: Did you take any pictures?
B: I took some but not many.
a lot of는 a lot of + 둘 모두와 같은 종류의 명사에 사용할 수 있다. We use a lot of + both kinds of noun.
- We bought a lot of food.
- We bought a lot of books.
- Paula doesn’t have a lot of free time.
- Did they ask you a lot of questions?
다음처럼 말함에 유의하자. Note that we say:
- There is a lot of food/money/water. (singular verb)
- There are a lot of trees/stores/people. (plural verb)
- A lot of people like soccer. (not likes)
much는 질문과 부정적인 문장에 쓴다. We use much in questions and negative sentenses.
- Do you drink much coffee?
- I don’t drink much coffee.
그러나 much를 긍정적인 문장에는 잘 쓰지 않는다. But we do not often use much in positive sentences.
- I drink a lot of coffee. (not I drink much coffee)
- ”Do you drink much coffee?” “Yes, a lot.” (not Yes, much)
many와 a lot of는 모든 종류의 문장에 쓴다. We use many and a lot of in all kinds of sentences (question/positive/negative).
- Do you have many friends / a lot of friends?
- We have many friends / a lot of friends.
- We don’t have many friends / a lot of friends.
명사 없이 much와 a lot of를 쓰기도 한다. much and a lot of without a noun.
- Diane spoke to me, but she didn’t say much.
- ”Do you watch TV much?” “No, not much.” (= not often)
- We like films, so we go to the movies a lot. (not much)
- I don’t like him very much.